Now - January 6 | Life Then and Now Hall
See prehistoric life in a whole new light as the Life Then and Now Hall is transformed by elaborate projections. Spectacular lights will illuminate the imposing T. rex, Frenelopsis (a 110-million-year-old tree), the long-necked Alamosaurus, and more. Begins at the top of every hour.
Aurora Illumination Installation
Now - January 6 | Gems and Minerals Hall
Be amazed by two original works of art. As a part of Dallas Aurora, the biannual light, video, and sound festival, the Perot Museum has commissioned an original work of projection art, The Velocity of Light – A Kaleidoscopic Journey, by local artist Carmen Menza. See the hall’s imposing sculptural outcropping transformed with moving kaleidoscopic light and colors which can only be truly appreciated in person.
Located just below the Aurora Illumination installation is the breathtaking “Aurora Butterfly of Peace.” Featuring 240 naturally colored diamonds arranged in the shape of a butterfly, this unique work of art not only reveals the rainbow of colors diamonds come in, but also demonstrates many of the stones’ fluorescence when it is brought to life under UV light. It took owner and curator Alan Bronstein, in partnership with Harry Rodman, 12 years to create this masterpiece. It was conceived as a tribute to one of the most beloved, gentle, and peaceful creatures on our planet – the butterfly – using one of Earth’s rarest creations, colored diamonds. It symbolizes a spiritual connection to Earth for all humankind.
Activities (free with general admission)
November 3 - January 6 | Every Weekend
December 26-30 | Daily
- Starting November 11, discover the breathtaking science behind your favorite colors as you go on a personalized hunt to learn more about what makes minerals so stunning (Gems and Minerals Hall).
- See your friends and family illuminated by our giant kaleidoscope, where you can take beautiful photos and video of their images, lighted and reflected in spectacular ways (Gems and Minerals Hall).
- Find that the already impressive dinosaurs have been enhanced by dramatic lighting and projection mapping (Life Then and Now Hall).
- Take part in spontaneous dino dance parties (Life Then and Now Hall).
- Project a snowflake design at a light-up color table (Gems and Minerals Hall).
- Contribute to the glowing vibe by wearing your own glowing or light-up accessories. There will also be fun, light-up wearables available for purchase.
- Stop at the Café for a selection of special glowing treats.
- Enjoy illumination-themed Bookworm Reading Time for our youngest guests.
- Test your knowledge at Illumination Trivia.
- Be on the lookout for pop-up Science on the Spot experiments and demonstrations that will reveal even more about the science of light
Chef Inspired Activities in the Lobby
Winter Cookie Decorating 10am-2pm
December 8 – Snowflake Cookies with Airbrushing Demonstration by Pastry Team
December 29 – Melting Snowman Cookies with Searzall Demonstration
$3 per cookie – includes all supplies to decorate
Anti-Griddle Instant Pops 10am-2pm
December 1 and December 22
Watch our baker prepare Instant Pops on the Anti-Griddle in a variety of flavors and fun holiday styles. Pops are $2.50 each.
3D Chocolate Printing 10am-2pm
December 15 – Watch as we prepare special 3D printed chocolate holiday treats. Individual chocolates will be available for purchase.
Events and Workshops
Day in the Life: Gemologist and Curator
December 8 | 9am-noon
$25 for Members, $30 for Non-Members
Are you mesmerized by the beauty of magnificent gems? Are you curious about where they come from and the path they take to end up in your jewelry box? Spend the morning with Kimberly Vagner, the director of the Perot Museum’s Gems and Minerals Center of Excellence to unearth the field of gemology and get the inside scoop on what is planned for the Museum’s gems and minerals collection. Crack open a geode, discover more about the Lyda Hill Gems and Minerals Hall’s limited-time art installations including a special appearance from projection artist Carmen Menza, enjoy themed food, and more as you study the beautiful stones that make up our earth.
Winter Solstice Sunrise Celebration
December 21 | 6-9am
$20 for Members, $25 for Non-Members (Price includes all-day access to the Museum)
Space is limited. Reserve your spot now.
Celebrate the winter solstice with a morning of joyful activity.
From 6-7am, choose from the following:
- An invigorating yoga practice surrounded by dinosaurs in our Life Then and Now Hall led by a certified instructor, Juan Zambrano of We Yogis. This energizing session will be accessible to all levels of yoga experience. Bring your own yoga mat and any props you’d like to use.
- A relaxing and engaging sound-centered experience in the Gems and Minerals Hall. This interactive workshop uses singing bowls, the voice, and other instruments as tools for weaving a sonic tapestry. Come prepared to move and engage with others as Matthew Kline guides you through an inner journey using his experience as a professional musician and yoga instructor to create an immersive soundscape that is deeply relaxing, connective, and an aural delight. Bring your own yoga mat and any props you’d like to use.
Then, turn up the energy at a sunrise dance party like no other in our glass-encased Lobby. Enjoy energetic music brought to you by DJ Sober, illuminated performers, a life-size dancing raptor, solstice science, and a sense of vibrant community as you dance to greet the sun!
Now through January 6 | See dates and times below
Calling all dino hunters! Go on a shadowy, prehistoric adventure in Ultimate Dinosaurs, led by a Museum Brainiac. You’ll get your own flashlight to help you find your way and uncover the history of these ancient creatures. Flashlights are provided on a first come, first served basis and must be returned once the tour is over.
Saturdays at 9:30am
Sundays at 10:30am
Wednesday, December 26 @ 10:30am
Thursday, December 27 @ 10:30am
Friday, December 28 @ 10:30am
|Close at 3pm|