Discovery Corps Teen Program
Be exceptional. Make a difference.
Those students who complete the application process including submitting the required documents will be contacted in March with dates for group interview opportunities.
For those wishing to apply for 2021 Discovery Corps, applications for next summer’s program will open in January 2021.
Discovery Corps interview dates and program placements fill rapidly. Please keep in mind that interview spots are limited and function on a first come, first serve basis. Completing the Discovery Corps application process does not guarantee an interview.
The Perot Museum is a certifying organization of the President’s Volunteer Service Award, a federally recognized award. Those that achieve the gold-level award through service at the Perot Museum receive an official recognition pin, certificate, Perot Museum fleece and a letter from the sitting President of the United States in January 2022.
- Must be 14 years of age prior to start date of volunteering
- Entering freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior year of high school in fall of 2021
- All teens may be required to complete and clear a background check
- Teens must complete the Discovery Corps Teen Summer Program prior to becoming a year-round volunteer. Upon the completion of the Discovery Corps, teens can request a transition to general volunteers, with Volunteer Services approval.
- Complete Discovery Corps application and submit required documents, participate in an entrance interview and attend orientation
- Complete one full week (Monday-Friday) 8:45am-5:00pm on site
- Complete and additional 16 hours of self-scheduled volunteer shifts in Museum exhibit halls and traveling exhibitions through flexible, four-hour shifts
- Complete five trainings focused on workforce readiness
- Complete assigned STEM career explorations
- Complete one group project and participate in one final project presentation
- Complete a total of 70 hours of volunteer service
Applications for the 2021 Discovery Corps Teen Summer Program will open in January.
- Complete the Discovery Corps online application
- Use the same email address on the application, documents, and correspondence that you use regularly for personal use (no school assigned emails which do not accept many outside communications)
- All required documents must be submitted in order to be eligible for consideration for an interview invitation
- Documents required: Resume and Cover letter
- Your cover letter should be addressed to the Perot Museum of Nature and Science Volunteer Services and briefly discuss the following topics:
- Why do you want to be a Discovery Corps teen?
- Why do you think you would be a good fit as a Discovery Corps teen?
- What attributes/experience do you bring that will make you an excellent Discovery Corps teen?