June 17-August 23, 2013
Discovery Corps is the summer teen volunteer program of the Perot Museum of Nature and Science. It provides an exciting opportunity for area teens to participate in a program that offers a well-rounded learning, teaching and career-oriented experience.
Acceptance into the program is highly competitive, with the application process beginning in January of each year. The program is structured in such a way that teens not only reap the benefits of volunteering; they also learn important lessons concerning responsibility and consequences, working as a team alongside other teens from a wide variety of backgrounds, and mentoring and encouraging other teens and younger children.
Discovery Corps activities:
- During each session, the 25 teens in that session will spend part of their time assisting the teachers in the summer camps for younger children and part of their time volunteering in the Exhibit Halls, visiting with our guests and explaining key components in the Hall.
- While assisting in the Perot Museum summer Discovery Camps, teens have the opportunity to serve as mentors and teachers to the younger children as they work alongside the educators in each themed session.
- In the exhibit halls, teens learn how to speak well, work with the public, develop presentation skills, and become familiar with some of our fabulous exhibit components.
- Participants will also have the opportunity to meet, listen to and ask questions of professional speakers from a wide range of backgrounds on Fridays during lunchtime. Examples of careers represented during previous summers are forensic anthropologist, veterinarian, paleontologist, chemist, and neuroimaging radiologist.
- In addition to the mentioned areas of concentration, our Discovery Day coordinators develop creative ways for participating teens to socialize. Previous years have featured talent shows, college preparation workshops, seriously competitive games of trivia and various incarnations of icebreakers and coloring contests.
June 17-August 23, 2013. The summer is divided into five two-week sessions between those dates. The sessions are Monday-Friday from approximately 8:30AM-3:30PM.
- Complete the Application (NOTE: We MUST have a usable email address for the teen).
- Complete the rest of the application materials as described in the Requirements Section.
- Turn in a completed application packet by the date noted in the Requirements Section.
- The teen will be contacted if he/she is chosen for an interview.